Thanks to you and other supporters – our qualified staff of four full-time Chaplains and six volunteer Chaplains have been able to provide a tremendous amount of assistance to our everyday heroes…. in 2016:
- Our Chaplains made 8398 contacts (an average of 700 per month) and spent 7247 hours providing peer support and chaplaincy counseling
- In addition, our team of professional Chaplains spent 29,680 hours on call, ready to respond 24 hours per day, 365 days of the year.
- We drove 45,471 miles in service to these everyday heroes
- Served 227 first responders in our PTSD Peer-Support weekly groups.
- Answered 242 first responders who completed the online self-assessment for Post Traumatic Stress.
- Distributed three cases of the “Healing Manual for First Responders”
In 2017, with you standing alongside us:
- We are on target to provide five total Peer Support groups that meet every week, providing a confidential place to discuss what our everyday heroes see on the job.
- We are in the planning stages of a weekend retreat for first responders and their spouses where we will focus on the First Responder Marriage, as well as introduce them to the Peer Support Group models –and to establish spouse support groups!
- We also are assisting our agencies and their folks in becoming proactive about suicide prevention in public safety, by teaching awareness classes at local fire academies.
Founded in December of 1998, Emergency Ministries has served firefighters, paramedics and public safety professionals across the globe with our Internet reach. Today, we primarily focus on 40 Fire, EMS and Law Enforcement agencies operating in 52 counties in Texas. In total, these agencies are the headquarters for thousands of public safety and first-response personnel.
Emergency Ministries has been able to achieve this tremendous level of success because our organization brings a unique quality to the services we provide – Every chaplain in our organization has been an EMT, Firefighter, Paramedic, or Police Officer. The rapport that “having worn the badge” creates with a “brother or sister” first-responder is invaluable.
Another thing that makes us unique… two of our Chaplains are “Board Certified Chaplains,” having completed four ‘units’ of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) and then being interviewed/examined by the certifying body. This is the same certification granted to hospital Chaplains. In fact, our founder became the first-ever BCC in full time public safety Chaplaincy!
We have had a website since 1999, have a strong presence on social media, have at toll-free ‘hotline’ and a mobile app. Our five-year goals include a ‘social-franchising’ model to expand state-wide and, eventually, nationally. We have also been called in the last few months to provide our services to Emergency Room physicians and nurses at two different hospitals and are considering expansion in that direction.
Emergency Ministries is an IRS 501.c.3 non-profit agency. Federal Tax ID#76-0596612